West End Tour
From Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum via the University to Great Western Terrace.
This walk takes approximately 1½ hours.
This walk explores the residential suburbs to the west of the city centre. As the city prospered, so Glasgow expanded westwards from its mediaeval core and during Victoria’s reign fashionable new suburbs grew up beyond the river Kelvin, especially after the University moved from the ancient High Street to Gilmorehill in 1870.
Stone-built terraces of houses and the occasional detached villa interspersed with new churches – mostly Presbyterian – were built around Gilmorehill and Dowanhill and along the axis of the Great Western Road. These were followed, at the end of the century, by blocks of solid middle-class tenements. Most of these residences continued the Classical tradition although the Scottish Baronial was adopted for some villas and the influence of the “Glasgow Style” was evident around 1900 while the new churches were mostly Gothic.
This walk is quite long as the buildings of particular interest are further apart than in the city centre, but the intervening terraces and villas, although not individually described here, all contribute to the distinct character of this still desirable part of Glasgow.
Opening hours are provided for those buildings that are open to the public. These were correct at the time of writing, but you are recommended to check current times to avoid disappointment.