We are delighted to have arranged another visit to Glebe Place in September. We have places available at 11am and 3pm on Tuesday 19 September 2017. If you would like to book a place, please email email@example.com.
The studio-house designed for the painter Harold Squire was one of the last architecture projects completed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh between 1920/21. It is of great significance as the only surviving built design from the post-war period of Mackintosh’s career. It is of additional importance on a social level for its connections with the Chelsea circles in which the Mackintoshes lived.
The artist Edward le Bas lived in the house from 1948-1966, followed by the sculptress, Molly le Bas in 1967. As well as being an avid collector of contemporary art at the turn of the 20th century,Edward Le Bas was one of Britain’s most talented painters who, despite being an elected member of the Royal Academy and awarded a CBE, has been slightly failed by the history books. Le Bas’ style owes much to the French tradition, Post-Impressionism in particular, and to the work of his great friend Duncan Grant and the Bloomsbury Group, a circle of British artists with whom he was associated. As a collector Le Bas amassed a hoard of important works, including the Camden Town Group (a London collective which included heavyweights like Walter Sickert), The Bloomsbury Group (in particular his friends Duncan Grant and Vanessa Bell) and the celebrated French artist Edouard Vuillard.
A must visit for all Mackintosh fans.